Carlsbad Marathon Roll For a Cure Jan 25, 2009

Carlsbad Marathon Roll For a Cure Jan  25, 2009
My Family- The greatest

The Cook Men at Thanksgiving

The Cook Men at Thanksgiving

ALS Team Walk At Mission Bay October, 2008

ALS Team Walk  At Mission Bay October, 2008
Our ALS Walk was fantastic, the team was fantastic!

My Pogi Sons

My Pogi Sons
Peter, Rick, Nathan, and Tito- the greatest sons a man could have!

The family

The family
Having Fun during Fathers Day!!

Rod, Chuck and Steve in Millington Tennessee August 2008

Rod, Chuck and Steve in Millington Tennessee August 2008
The Cook boys at it again 2008. Rod and Steve are awesome brothers.

Chuck and Atring

Chuck and Atring
Together Forever. The Love of my Life!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Roll For a Cure

Sunday Morning we went to the Carlsbad Marathon. Atring got me up at 3:00 AM to get me ready for my part in the Roll For A Cure ALS fundraiser. She bundled me up and waited for Rick and Eileen who so graciously gave us a ride to the Marathon. We got there about 4:30 AM and I found Renee and the Van who was waiting for me. I jumped (not really) into the chair which had been designed with long handlebars on each side at the back for ease of pushing. That way to people can push the wheelchair for an extended period, or runners can push it more easily.
Nevertheless, Rick and Rudy accompanied by Peter, Nathan and of course Eileen, took me to the starting line of the Marathon. Tom Courtney, the director of the ALS Association for San Diego met me there. We listened to the announcer and a young lady sang the National Anthem, and then we were off. Rudy and Rick pushed and Peter and Nathan were standing by for their turn. They pushed me about a mile and a third to the ALS headquarters for this run. As soon as I got there I was met by 3 Carlsbad High School Cross Country athletes, who immediately grabbed me and started running. It was great. We hadn't gotten very far when lo and behold, the front left wheel on the wheelchair went flat. Or the rubber had separated from the spokes. I thought at first we were sunk. They managed to get me and the wheelchair back to the "headquarters." The brain trust of guys that were there started thinking. Lacking spare wheels (who would have thunk) they finally decided that shopping cart wheels should work. In less than ten minutes there were three shopping carts there. And in less than ten minutes they had two wheels off the shopping cart and put on the wheelchair. I was amazed, but I realized that years before I would have been there doing the same type thing.I was always in the middle of taking things apart and trying to put them back together.
Anyway, I was loaded in the wheelchair, loaded into the van and driven to where the next set of runners were to meet me. At about the 4 and a half mar on the course,a new set of runners from Santana had taken there places and running with me. We were moving at a good clip, averaging 9 minute miles. I was impressed with the runners. We went up hills, and down, passing other runners who were going steadily but more slowly. They ran until the 12 mile mark, when three more runners took there place, and they took off. At the the 16 mile mark or so, Rick was waiting to change places with me. I got out of the wheelchair and they transferred Rick from his wheelchair to the special race wheelchair. And off he went. I was transported back to headquarters. We waited for Rick and his group of pushers to come by. And sure enough he came in accompanied by kids from the Boys and Girls Club of East County. We switched chairs and I was being pushed by the same boys and girls to the finish line. At about 100 yards prior to the finish, I got out of the wheelchair, grabbed my cane and supported by my son Rick made for the finish. It was hard to walk cause I am losing my balance big time now. But I made it. The rousing welcome we got when we got there was truly amazing. I was proud to represent the ALS PALS in this marathon.
The boys finally got me home, and I was tired. The early morning rise, the excitement, and the exercise had worn me out. But Rick, Peter and Nathan spent the rest of the afternoon and evening with me. We talked about books, sports, beer, you name it, and we talked. It was great. I loved it.
What a fantastic day, and I owe it to my wonderful wife, super sons, the ALS Association and all the volunteers who give so unselfishly for the Association.
It was a super day!!!

1 comment:

rick007 said...

The marathon was great, and I was proud of the finish! Can't wait to do it again!