Carlsbad Marathon Roll For a Cure Jan 25, 2009

Carlsbad Marathon Roll For a Cure Jan  25, 2009
My Family- The greatest

The Cook Men at Thanksgiving

The Cook Men at Thanksgiving

ALS Team Walk At Mission Bay October, 2008

ALS Team Walk  At Mission Bay October, 2008
Our ALS Walk was fantastic, the team was fantastic!

My Pogi Sons

My Pogi Sons
Peter, Rick, Nathan, and Tito- the greatest sons a man could have!

The family

The family
Having Fun during Fathers Day!!

Rod, Chuck and Steve in Millington Tennessee August 2008

Rod, Chuck and Steve in Millington Tennessee August 2008
The Cook boys at it again 2008. Rod and Steve are awesome brothers.

Chuck and Atring

Chuck and Atring
Together Forever. The Love of my Life!

Friday, January 9, 2009

The New Year

With the advent of the year 2009, I figured it was time to tell all how I am doing. First off, I want to thank my number one caregiver...my wife Atring. Without her I would be not only lost, but stuck in a quagmire with no hope. Also, I want to thank my sons...Rick, Peter, Nathan, and Tito,...who are always there when I need them. And special thanks to Eileen, Leslie and Tenisha..for the encouraging looks and happy smiles.
Well my progression is moving faster. I am unable to talk with intelligible words. I sound like a caveman directing a sabre tooth tiger run. I do use the whiteboard a lot. When I run out of ink in my pens, I know I have been too mouthy. I like the computer that the ALS Association gave me to help with my communication, and it works...but it is heavy and hard to carry around and the battery has a short life..only about 6 hours.
My walking is getting worse...I cannot walk very well without a cane. I don't use the cane too much in the house..but I notice I have a hard time standing up from a sitting position. Also if I turn too fast, or don't pick up my right foot, I trip and fall down. I have bruised my butt, but no other injuries. I usually come up laughing at my clumsiness. Atring has the look of concern and shock. But so far no serious consequences.
I am reminded though of Catfish Hunter, a famous pitcher for the Oakland A's and New York Yankees. He had ALS, and died from a fall down the stairs. I can see how that happened. So I try to be careful.
I have a hard time walking up stairs, and even walking one step to a curb.
I find myself getting tired, if have been walking too much.
I do not eat much. I get 99.9% of my food through a tube to my stomach. It works well, and I never feel hungry. And I have stayed at a steady 130 lbs now for two months. That is a good thing. I still eat pudding and ice cream sometimes. I still like to drink bourbon and coke..but slowly..because I still choke very easily.
I like to munch on cookies and chips but each time I do, I choke.
I am especially bad when Atring cooks and I smell it, I go crazy. I want to eat also, but I know I will choke. I usually get a taste but that is about it.

My hand are staring to get weaker. I have a hard time buttoning my shirt, or zipping my zipper. I cannot open letters...my gripping and strength in my hand is very weak. I can still write, and type (duh!). But I can feel and see them getting weaker.

But honestly, I am living. I update the pages on Patients Like Me; I read emails about ALS from other Pals and Cals from the Yahoo site. I read books a lot, I love to read. I enjoy TV sports..football, basketball, and baseball. And I love talking to Atring. She is a blast.

Thanks you all for reading, leave me a message ok?
I pray to God that he will protect all of you.

3 comments:

Pete said...

Thanks for updating your blog - you really should do it more often, we really look forward to it!

Catfish Hunter: "The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." Words of wisdom, right?

Blue Bakelite Radio said...

Hello, Chuck, this is your former neighbor in Tristan. Just today I found out you had ALS. So, now I've been reading your blog and appreciate your open comments about your reaction to learning of the diagnosis and your positive attitude now with dealing with the progression. Really good seeing your photograph on this blog, too, and your wife. Plus of course I know Nate and Tito, too! Stay strong by prayer to God! --Steve

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story. We've never met, but I discovered your blog when I did search, trying to understand more about my grandmother's disease. It feels good reading about your experiences. I hope writing about them helps you as well. And sipping bourbon slowly is the only way that it should be done!