Carlsbad Marathon Roll For a Cure Jan 25, 2009

Carlsbad Marathon Roll For a Cure Jan  25, 2009
My Family- The greatest

The Cook Men at Thanksgiving

The Cook Men at Thanksgiving

ALS Team Walk At Mission Bay October, 2008

ALS Team Walk  At Mission Bay October, 2008
Our ALS Walk was fantastic, the team was fantastic!

My Pogi Sons

My Pogi Sons
Peter, Rick, Nathan, and Tito- the greatest sons a man could have!

The family

The family
Having Fun during Fathers Day!!

Rod, Chuck and Steve in Millington Tennessee August 2008

Rod, Chuck and Steve in Millington Tennessee August 2008
The Cook boys at it again 2008. Rod and Steve are awesome brothers.

Chuck and Atring

Chuck and Atring
Together Forever. The Love of my Life!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Looking Back at 2008

I was thinking today (I know that is hard for some to fathom) about the key things that happened to the people with ALS in 2008.
"Time" and "Newsweek" magazines both carried significant stories about ALS. Remember ALS is considered an orphan disease because so few of us get it. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I will let them say it. "Time" ran a story about how they are using stem cell research from people's skin, and trying to understand how ALS works. I think that is significant. If they can figure out how it works, what it does...they might be able to cure it. My hope and dream. At least one of them.
The VA announced on September 23 that ALS is now a service connected disease. That opens up the door to all the VA has to offer, which is very significant. Now to get through the red tape and paperwork the VA makes you fill out before getting benefits.
And finally Congress passed the ALS Registry act. What this does is gets everyone with ALS on a roll,and that way their is one central data point for them to collect information from the PALS.
I am thankful for all that. There is more to be done. But I am thankful......

No comments: